Sleepless

The place for in-character stories, events, correspondence.
Sar

Sleepless

Post by Sar » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:56 pm

Thwap. Thwap. Thwap-thwap.

Maeve shifted her weight, using the rotation of her hips to drive a particularly hard punch into the training dummy. It skidded backward across the wood floor, toppling with an unsatisfying thud.

"Fuck."

She muttered under her breath, chest heaving from the exertion as she lifted her fists, inspecting her knuckles. They were red, and stung, skin unused to the impact and abrasion.

It will come, she thought, turning her hands over to look at calloused palms. Had Her hands looked like that? Maeve couldn't remember.

"I know you ought not believe me, but Knighthood would suit you."

"Hah, fuck off."

"I mean it. You have strengths you are not even aware of."

"Or perhaps you are suffering from wishful thinking. Your dreams seem not to take into account reality."

"Or perhaps you are in denial that there could be more meaning to life."

Maeve knelt, grasping the dummy by its' truncated shoulder and pulling it back to an upright position. Squared off, raised her fists, and started punching again. Thwap.

"Do you ever feel guilty?"

The question had escaped before she could slam the gate closed, the hinges rusted by wine and curiosity. He'd said "yes", instantly understanding what she meant, like he somehow always did. Fuck, she was getting addicted to it. That feeling of not being alone.

Thwap-thwap. Thwap.

Stop thinking about it, she mentally commanded herself. It was confusing. Training was simple. It was why she was here.

The rest would come in time.